Monday, November 17, 2008

Affection

I went out drinking with a bunch of friends on Saturday night. As we left the bar, the one couple in the group said that we should go dancing. I was tired, and didn’t feel like going dancing. As it turned out, everybody else was also tired. We told them that, but they began to insist. They gave us the usual “it’ll be fun,” “stop being lame,” but we explained that none of us felt like dancing. Eventually, we split off from them, and discussed how strange that interaction was. They were probably going to end up making out, judging by the fact that that was how the previous few evenings had ended for them. That wasn’t scaring us away; if I had wanted to go dancing, I would have gone, and not cared about what they were doing. What seemed strange was that they would want company.

This isn’t the first time I’ve encountered this. On more than one occasion, I’ve knocked on a door, evidently interrupted something, and then been invited into the room. I just want to get out of an awkward situation. Please don’t make it any more awkward. I don’t know if that’s some sort of revenge, but I really don’t think I deserve it.

I don’t really care about public displays of affection. Make out wherever you want, and I’ll just look straight ahead as I walk by. All I ask is that you don’t ask me to sit and watch. Why do people do this?

And now for something completely different:
Today's xkcd is one of the best I've ever seen. I'd recommend checking it out.

No comments: